Two exciting things happened this week: My wife finally made that black raspberry cobbler I’ve been waiting to try. She also suggested that I put my hobbyist photographer skills to work for this week’s blog post. It’s been a while since I’ve picked up my good camera. You know, the one that’s just a camera and not a phone, alarm clock, GPS navigator, calendar… I’m sure you get my drift.
I bought my first digital SLR camera about ten years ago. I loved taking photos, mostly of people and nature. Once cell phones integrated decent digital cameras I found myself pulling out the SLR less and less often. My wife has been hinting that I either sell the camera, or start using it again. So, when she casually suggested that I take a few nicer shots of the finished cobbler, I thought it couldn’t hurt to see if my passion for photography could be reignited. So, I dusted off the old camera and charged up the batteries. I gathered some props to use in the shots and played around a bit with the lighting. I’m pretty happy with the results, but more importantly, so is my wife. I aim to please!
This was the first time my wife had ever made a cobbler. I’ve never made one either, but I’ve eaten my fair share of cobbler. My wife was surprised at how easy it was to make. She also said she could think of dozens of delectable ingredients to try out in future cobblers. Be jealous because it looks like I’ll be enjoying a lot of cobbler in the future.
Since my wife had never made cobbler, she didn’t have any recipes to refer to in her personal collection. Thankfully, food blogger, Nancy over at The Moonlight Factory shared a wonderful black raspberry cobbler recipe that was easy to follow. My wife decided to follow the recipe exactly, except for the addition of special ingredient – vanilla bean. Of course, she had to come up with a cheeky name, and since raspberries and vanilla seem to pair well together, she decided on Friends With Benefits Cobbler (or Black Raspberry & Vanilla Bean Cobbler).
Here’s what you’ll need to make My Wife’s Friends With Benefits Cobbler (or Black Raspberry & Vanilla Bean Cobbler):
- 2½ cups fresh black raspberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 - 2 whole vanilla pods, split and scraped (Visit here for instructions on how to open and use vanilla pods)
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup butter, melted
- Stir berries and sugar together in a bowl and let stand for about 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat oven to 375 degrees and split and scrape vanilla pod(s).
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt. Add milk, vanilla, and melted butter. Whisk until combined.
- Pour batter into ungreased 8x8 baking pan. Evenly spoon prepared berry mixture over batter.
- Bake for approximately 45-55 minutes or until dough rises and turns golden brown.
- For best results, serve warm with a generous topping of whipped cream or ice cream.
Gregg & Mae