We know, we know – we’ve been posting a lot of savoury dishes recently (not that there’s anything wrong with that). This week though, we’ve got a cupcake recipe that’s sure to get your sweet tooth singing. In fact, this recipe had a bit too much sweetness for my wife’s tastes. Particularly, the decadent raspberry cream cheese frosting. I sure thought it was mighty tasty though! Next time, Mae (that’s my wife), thinks she’s going to try and tone down the sweetness of the frosting with something citrus, like grated orange peel.
This is definitely a recipe for sugar fiends – and cookie monsters, like me! That’s because my wife stuffed these chocolately cupcakes with one of my favourite prepared cookies: Oreos! She’s seen a lot of food bloggers post cupcakes stuffed with cookies recipes, and so she thought it was about time that we had our own stuffed cupcake recipe. I wasn’t going to argue with having to photograph and taste test cupcakes and cookies together.
Mae used a basic chocolate cake recipe for the cupcakes, which she loved. So if you’re like her and don’t like your sweets too sweet, try replacing our frosting with your favourite less sweet version. We suspect there will be many more stuffed cupcakes in our future. Here’s what you’ll need to make my wife’s Sweet On You Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Cupcakes:
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 ¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 12 Oreo cookies whole + more for crushing
- In bowl of stand mixer, combine all wet ingredients until thoroughly blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together dry ingredients until combined. Gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients while blending on low speed.
- Once batter is smooth, fill muffin tin lined with paper cups about a third of the way. Drop one Oreo cookie in the center of each cup.
- Evenly distribute batter between muffin cups until almost full.
- Bake for 15- 20 minutes at 350 degrees until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove to wire rack to allow to cool completely before frosting (see recipe for our raspberry cream cheese frosting below).
- Cookies will rise to top, but will still remain covered by cooked batter.
Decorate with Raspberry Cream Cheese icing. Blend all ingredients and decorate!
4-5 cups of icing sugar
1 package of cream cheese at room temperature, (8 oz)
½ cup pure raspberry jam
Gregg & Mae
P.S. We had enough batter, cookies, and frosting leftover to make about a dozen mini chocolate cupcakes topped with crushed cookies. They were delicious!