Did you know that April is grilled cheese month? That’s okay, we didn’t either… and we’re food bloggers! We’re not sure who gets to decide which food is celebrated during which month, but as far as we’re concerned, it could be grilled cheese day every day and we wouldn’t complain.
This popular staple of most North American kids’ diets is simple and versatile. It’s a sure winner not only because of its melty cheese and soft, yet crispy breads – but, also because it conjures up sweet memories of yesteryears for many adults too. It’s pure comfort food.
While the good ole standard grilled cheese sandwich (with soft white bread and cheddar cheese) is an all-time favourite, the popularity of this American classic has given rise to home cooks and chefs kicking things up a notch in the grilled cheesy goodness department. Recipes abound of grilled cheese makeovers with cheeses of different textures, flavours, and price points. The results are gourmet grilled cheeses with fine meats and upscale toppings. These grown up versions of a childhood classic are redefining grilled cheese.
We’ve been getting in on the grilled cheese hype too! Last month we shared my wife’s Dreamy Ham and Pear Grilled Cheese Sandwich. What made that grilled cheese so damn good? The cinnamon cranberry goat cheese. That was one delicious sandwich. Today we’re posting another epic grilled cheese construction. Here’s what you’ll need to make my wife’s Grilled Steak, Portobello Mushroom, and Blue Cheese sandwich.
- 4 slices of your choice of bread (we suggest French bread)
- 1-2 cups of cooked and thinly sliced steak/roast beef
- 1-2 Portobello Mushrooms washed, sliced, and lightly sauteed.
- 1 small purple onion, sliced into rings and lightly sauteed.
- 200-300 g of blue cheese
- 2-3 tbsp butter
- Preheat grill or frying pan to medium-high heat. Prepare bread slices by buttering outsides of bread. Layer beef, mushrooms, onions, and crumbled blue cheese in between slices. Grill for 5-6 minutes each side or until bread is gold brown. Slice and serve immediately.
Gregg & Mae